I live in the hills of Oakland, California. I grew up in rural southern Indiana, obtained my Bachelor’s Degree at Southern Illinois University and Master’s from the University of Illinois in Champaign-Urbana. I worked in the field of mental health for many years before beginning a career in Organization Development Consulting. I now paint full time.
I worked with Stanley Mock from 1991-2000 to learn stone sculpting. Tendonitis in both wrists required that I stop. I began taking watercolor classes at the local high school, followed by four semesters of watercolor painting classes at a local Community College after I retired.
Four days in 2010 with Maxine Masterfield were the most significant and transformative for me. There I learned how to paint the essence of nature—how it makes me feel. Two week-long workshops with Katherine Change Liu, in 2011 and 2013, helped me see my painting personality and style, and to make the two congruent. Seminars with Jeremy Morgan from 2012-present have added to my knowledge of art history and the relationship of abstract art and human consciousness. In between these events, I have amassed and read an enormous number of books on art history, biographies of artists, composition, design, and painting techniques.
• Caldecott Gallery Solo Exhibition, Oakland, CA, February, 2016
• Int’l Society of Acrylic Painters, 17th and 18th Annual Open Juried Exhibitions, 2014-2015
• Interfaith Trio open call juried Exhibition, Islamic Cultural Center, Oakland, CA 2015
• Invited artist for Art in the Cathedral Gallery “Sacred Rhythms” Exhibition, Christ Church Cathedral, Lexington, KY, Nov. 2014-Jan. 2015
• Harrington Gallery, 2012, 2014, and 2015 juried Exhibitions, Pleasanton, CA
• Theatre Art Gallery, juried Exhibition, Danville, CA, 2013
• Yosemite Renaissance, juried mixed-artist Exhibition, Yosemite National Park, CA, 2012
• Midwest National Abstract juried Art Exhibition VIII, Indianapolis, IN, 2012
• Int’l Society of Acrylic Painters, 7th Annual Signature Member Show Online, 2015 Online juried show of International Society of Acrylic Painters, 2014
• Juried artist in Still Point Online Art Gallery several times between 2012-2016
• Four Light Space & Time Online Gallery juried exhibitions, 2014
• Work represented by The Rumjahn Gallery, 310 Main Street, Evansville, IN 47708
• Member monthly juried exhibitions at SF Women Artists Gallery, SF, CA
• Member monthly juried exhibitions at Marin Society of Artists, San Rafael, CA
• Member juried artist in regular exhibitions at Frank Bette Art Center, Alameda, CA
• Exhibitor with Expressions Gallery, Berkeley, California
Media and Publications
• Cover and featured Portfolio artist in Still Point Arts Quarterly, Summer, 2016.
• “Spotlight Artist” in Maxine Masterfield’s newsletter, “Spirit of Experimental Art”, 2015
• Still Point Arts Quarterly, 2012-2015 (juried into several exhibitions and published in the related Journal)
• Featured artist in “SF Peace and Hope: A Literary Journal Devoted to Poetry and Art,”published 2015, 2016
• A featured artist in “Journeys to Abstraction: 100 More Contemporary Paintings and Their Secrets Revealed”, selected, edited, and published by Sue St. John, 2015
• Painting selected for the cover of Christine Horner’s book of poetry “A Stranger in the House”, 2014
• 1st Place Overall winner, January 2017-- “All Women”, Light Space & Time Online Gallery’s Int’l competition. Selected from 890 entries representing 32 countries and 41 states.
• For the Artists by the Artists First Int’l Online Competition--juried as 2nd place winner
• Ampersand Sponsor Award, Int’l Society of Acrylic Painters Signature Member Online Show, 2015
• Golden Artist Colors Sponsor Award, Int’l Society of Acrylic Painters juried exhibition, Paso Robles, CA 2015
• Merit awards in several juried exhibitions at SF Women Artists Gallery.
• Numerous merit awards in several online juried exhibitions of Light, Space, & Time Gallery.
International Society of Acrylic Painters
San Francisco Women Artists
Berkeley Art Center
Frank Bette Art Center
Lamorinda Arts Alliance